VERICUT Users' Forum

Due to relentless spammers, we are no longer automatically accepting new forum registrations. If you wish to register for this forum, please send an e-mail to: info@cgtech.com

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-20 16:33:25

Jim C

System Requirements

Hi,
     I work at an aerospace manufacturing company in CT.  We are running Vericut  5.4.5.  We are doing 6 axis milling on airfoils.  Right now, when we make a change to the nc programs, a full Vericut check with all the bells and whistles on is taking us 6 hours.  We need to cut this time way down.  The PC we are using now meets your recommended system requirements (1 gig RAM etc).  It doesn't meet your preferred system configuration.  I saw posts in here of people talking about 8 gig of RAM.  I have been asked to determine what hardware we need in a PC to make a dramatic reduction in the run time. Is there more info available on what components are the most critical and recommended for better performance? RAM, processors, hard drives, video card etc? 

Thanks

#2 2006-03-20 17:00:54

SergeV
Website

Re: System Requirements

Before looking on the hardware, some steps can be taken in the simulation to improve the performance.

If you are doing the machine simulation, you could switch your view to Workpiece only. This will significantly speed up the simulation and the collisions errors will still be detected in the background.

Also in the Setup > Motion panel, you can select "No Animation". The simulation will be run in the background and the image will be updated only at the end of the program or if the simulation is interrupted.

If you want to see the simulation, you can use the "Skip Cut" setting to update the graphic after a selected number of cuts.

With all 3 methods recommended above, the simulation speed is improved and the same level of error detection is achieved.

#3 2006-03-20 18:45:53

Jim C

SergeV,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I reviewed your answer with the programmer and he said we do all these things you mentioned.  Except for turning off the animation.  He said we need to watch the whole thing.  The part is a very complex rotor assembly.  It's the 1st set of blades you see when you look at the front of a turbine engine and worth a small fortune.  And one little mistake and it is junk.  There are no repairs allowed.  We just had one of your technicians here for a week to help us optimize Vericut's use.  We are pretty sure it's down to improving the hardware.  Thanks

Jim

#4 2006-03-20 19:54:34

jsmillett

Jim,

Are you enabling OpenGL in the machine view.  It has a dramatic effect on display speed and cuts down cpu usage substantially by letting the graphics hardware do more of the display work.  Version 6 will also allow OpenGL in the Workpiece View.  Another speed improvement on the horizon. 

Jerry

Jim C wrote:

SergeV,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I reviewed your answer with the programmer and he said we do all these things you mentioned.  Except for turning off the animation.  He said we need to watch the whole thing.  The part is a very complex rotor assembly.  It's the 1st set of blades you see when you look at the front of a turbine engine and worth a small fortune.  And one little mistake and it is junk.  There are no repairs allowed.  We just had one of your technicians here for a week to help us optimize Vericut's use.  We are pretty sure it's down to improving the hardware.  Thanks

Jim

Jerry Millett

#5 2006-03-20 20:28:38

SergeV
Website

Jerry,

in Version 6.0, OpenGL in the Workpiece view will only be used when the part is rotated, zoomed, etc, but not during the simulation.
Serge

#6 2006-03-21 00:05:02

SergeV
Website

Jim,

If you are also considering upgrading you hardware, I would recommend reading this thread:
http://www.cgtech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=376

Serge

#7 2006-03-21 18:45:46

DaveF

I can give you a few ideas

I have seen dramatic differences in speed, depending on the complexity of the stl files I use when doing collision detection.

I have one file where the holder is a large STL model of a Tecnara 90-degree head. By large, I mean a lot of polygons. The program is internally machining a very complex model. This particular program runs only approximately 40 lines of g-code an minute. Same part, same machine, no 90 head, where the holders are not in close proximity of to part, over 500 lines a minute.

I believe that Vericut detects when components get close, and the accuracy goes way up in close proximity, comparing each polygon for collision.

(1) try turning collision detection off, and see if that effects the speed. This will tell you if it is the component models.

(2) Look at rotary tolerances. Might not be what you think.

(3) Try turning machine simulation off, (only workpeice view on)

(4) Look at cutting tolerance. that may slow you down. Try running with a simple block.

(5) make sure axes are not displayed. This puts Vericut in death mode.

(6) Sometimes the slider bar is not all the way to 100%

(in Version 6.0, the slider bar turns yellow if not at 100%)

One day, The Vericut Gods will shine on us, and there will be a number next to the slider. And you will be able to see what percent the slider is on. And even type in the exact number you want. And perhaps, be able to have a little more control there. Key in more control with a decimal: 96.7

Finally, for 15 years now, I have 2 computers. One for Vericut, and one for programming. Some Vericut process are fast. others take hours. I set Vericut to stop on errors and than I go back program something on my other computer.

Computer hardware is a fraction of what we programmers make, in a year. To take advantage of a smart programmer?s ability to multitask in this fashion is what I recommend to any manager.

Dave Frank
Aerospace Dynamics International, PCC
Valencia Ca
"Where else can you have this much fun,.......and get paid???."

#8 2006-03-23 15:58:20

Jim C

Thanks all for the information and help.  We came to the conclusion a new PC is the best solution for us.  We are ordering a Dell 670 work station with all the bells and whistles.

Board footer