VERICUT Users' Forum

Due to relentless spammers, we are no longer automatically accepting new forum registrations. If you wish to register for this forum, please send an e-mail to: info@cgtech.com

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-05 15:20:38

Svante

Different orientation

Hi,

I want to have different orientations on the same turning tool, and activate those with differnent D-values.
Like when switchting between different Driven points.
I have created sub routines for tools like this, that rotates the spindle based on different conditions, but it would be so much easier to handle this from Tool manager.
Example:

T="111"   
M6
D1      ;; Activates Driven point 1
D2   ;; Activates "Driven point" 2, in this case rotates the tool 180°

Pic1: "Ordinary" tool with two Driven points
[attachment=1:1bloqgdz]<!-- ia1 -->D1_D2_most_common.gif<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment:1bloqgdz]

Pic 2: Tool with same Driven point on same location, but with different orientations.
[attachment=0:1bloqgdz]<!-- ia0 -->D1_D2_different_oriented.gif<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment:1bloqgdz]

Svante Eriksson
System owner
GKN Aerospace Engine Systems Sweden
Vericut 7.2.1, 7.3.4, 7.4 - NX 9.0.3

#2 2013-04-05 22:02:48

Verifun
Website

Re: Different orientation

Hi Svante,

It has been discussed here too: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.cgtech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1828">viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1828</a><!-- l -->

I have a SCR (#8729) in place for this one... and I think many other customers are also asking for this but CGTech it is silently overlooking it... they have some workarounds that can be used in the control file and its sub-routines... but I agree with you that the tool manager is where this should be managed, just like in the machine tools... tricks in the control file or sub-routines gives people extremely poor visibility about their tool definitions... if you are using an encrypted control then... no way...

Daniel Santos

#3 2013-04-08 07:11:58

Svante

Thank you Daniel for supporting this!

Svante Eriksson
System owner
GKN Aerospace Engine Systems Sweden
Vericut 7.2.1, 7.3.4, 7.4 - NX 9.0.3

#4 2013-05-10 21:18:40

SergeV
Website

Adding it to the tool manager might be convenient if you have a master library but if your tool library comes from an interface, multiple offsets would have to be created every time.

The offset D1 and D2 are machine/control commands and should be treated as such. A command D2 will always rotated the tool 180 regardless of how it was mounted.

My preferred method:
In 7.1 we implemented a new macro to simplify the support of the tool orientation, this macro is SpindleOrient. By calling this macro with D2 with an override value =180 the spindle component will be rotated 180. This macro does away with the need to add a rotary axis to the spindle of the machine.  This can also be used with orientation commands for boring bars.

#5 2013-05-10 23:26:29

Verifun
Website

The offset D1 and D2 are machine/control commands and should be treated as such. A command D2 will always rotated the tool 180 regardless of how it was mounted.

Only true in a Mazak / Fanuc based MTM (Doosan, etc)

For MillTurns based on Sinumerik, not true at all.

It seems to me that big CAM vendors such as PTC, Siemens, CGTech create their solutions for MTM machines focusing too much on Integrex machines and such. The result is we guys running high-end MillTurns are left with the solutions for mid-end machines like Mazak... I've seen a similar mindset in other CAM tools as well.

The fact is that people running a MTM with VERICUT have to create their libraries and set them up decently if they want to have a minimal efficiency. Interfaces, only if the tool is a new addition to the library. There's no point in re-creating offsets every time. I don' t think people do this everytime when VERICUT allows you to build and reference existing and proven libraries from within the interfaces. When it comes to tooling, the interfaces are great in demos, but the idea of overwriting your tools and making you re-create your offsets everytime does not comply with the day-to-day work. In real life people setup libraries...

Daniel Santos

#6 2013-05-10 23:38:05

Verifun
Website

Serge,

Please read this and you see what I mean:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.cgtech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1828">viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1828</a><!-- l -->

In a WFL MillTurn, the D number is not tied to the spindle angle. The spindle angle is defined in the tool change command. I can have D1,D2,D3,D4 all associated to SPOS=0. Sinumerik controls give you freedom to combine the way YOU want it. It's not a "hardcoded" procedure like in a Mazak Matrix control, and you bet we take advantage of this freedom. We have a Integrex here too and it is the ugly boy in this shop. Mazak did it (Flash tool management) in a very stupid way IMHO.

Daniel

Daniel Santos

Board footer